Sunday, March 6, 2011

North Shore visit

On Friday February 25th the Jodoins, Chouns, and Connally/Shipmans headed up for the weekend. They had rented a cabin in Truckee (North Shore) to celebrate Jenn's Unfortunately they had a helluva time getting up here. A storm had rolled in Thursday evening and proceeded to dump about 2 feet of new snow down at lake level. This was not all that big of a deal considering it had dumped 4 feet overnight the week before. However, the 45 mph winds wrecked havoc and caused highway 80 to close down due to white out conditions and an avalanche. You know, the little things that make life interesting.

Our plan was to head up first thing Saturday morning to join them. By then the storm had passed and it was turning out to be an absolutely gorgeous day.

Once we arrived N and Bree took off for a half day of boarding at Northstar to meet up with Jenn, Julie, and Jamie. I stayed behind at the cabin with Molly and the rest of the guys. It was a little chilly out (high in the low 20's) so we mainly hung out inside and let the kids play.

I love how all the Jodoin men have some sort of tech in their hands.

We were originally going to hang out with everyone during the day and spend the night with our friend Nicole (who also lives in Truckee). However, I realized this would mean we wouldn't really get to see the adults as we would be taking off for Molly's bed time. So we brought an air mattress and crashed the party (hey, I made dinner!). We put Molly down in one of the bedrooms and then moved her out to the main room downstairs where we were crashing when all the adults went to bed. Since we were pretty central to everyone there were a couple interruptions during the night.

Sunday was another gorgeous day and this time the temps warmed up to the low 30's. The guys headed off to the slopes while the ladies (and N) hung back at the cabin. When all the kids were getting bundled up to head outside so they could play in the snow I asked Molly if she'd like to join them. She looked me straight in the eye and said, "Mommy, it's cold outside" and then went back to her snack and movie on the iPad. Meh. Maybe next year.

In the afternoon N and Julie piled all the kids into the hot tub and they had a blast. Their favorite part was N throwing a huge snowball up to the bottom of the deck so it would rain back down on them. I think someone got video of that. The kids loved it.

Since we did not spend Saturday night with Nicole I made plans to meet up with her for dinner on our way back down to South Shore. We were going to get up and go first thing Monday morning, but N deemed it possible to work remote another day. We still met up with Nicole and had a delicious sushi dinner at Drunken Monkey, but then headed back to the cabin for some more adult time. At this point everyone was dragging ass and I think we were all in bed by 11.

Monday morning we took off for South Shore while everyone else headed off to a snow park. N had some work to get done and the plan was to take off that night around 7. However, Molly went down for a marathon 5 hour nap and didn't wake up until 7. We got a little bit of a late start, but still got on the road. The upside to leaving late on a Monday night was NO traffic. I think I can count on my fingers the number of cars we even saw between the cabin and our first stop in Placerville. The only downside was pulling up to our house just before 1 in the morning. Needless to say I was definitely dragging some ass the next day as I did all the driving.

For the rest of the pics click here and here.

No comments: